Disorders of the thyroid gland
represent the most common Endocrine diseases. The internationally recognised multi-disciplinary thyroid clinics at Hammersmith and St’ Mary’s Hospitals provide specialist services for evaluation and treatment of patients with benign and malignant thyroid disease including:
- specialist thyroid surgery
- rapid access to fine needle aspiration cytology diagnosis for thyroid nodules
- access to treatment with radioiodine
- thyroid eye disease clinic (Ms J Olver Ophthalmic surgeon)
- we deliver a high quality personalized service that adheres to the most up-to-date standards of care.
Conditions frequently treated in the clinic
Toxic thyroid nodules
Complex thyroid disorders
Drug-induced (e.g. amiodarone, lithium)
Thyroid disease in pregnancy
A specialist team manages all patients with thyroid cancer in a multidisciplinary setting. This includes differentiated thyroid cancers (papillary and follicular), medullary thyroid cancer (including familial syndromes such as MEN-2) and anaplastic thyroid cancer.
Rare thyroid disorders
Resistance to thyroid hormone